Absolutely looking forward to this thing they call “Field Days” down here. I want to wear Wellingtons and pet cows en masse.
I haven’t been posting much these past few months - Don’t know why really, you’d think there’d be lots to tell what with moving to New Zealand and such. And there has been, but my inner monologue has been doing most of the writing. So, here’s just a few random things that struck me apun arrival:
- That accent is adorable, but I have no idea what they’re talking about.
- Drive on the wrong side of the street, in the wrong side of the car, and use my left hand to change gears? I don’t think that’s humanly possible.
- The level of conversation with shopkeepers can take on astronomical proportions.
- I am constantly amazed that people walk around town without shoes on. I just want to know why, because they can’t all have gotten dressed, looked themselves in the mirror and thought “Damn, my feet look good today, lets go.”
- Haha, windy in Wellington you say? Pfft, can’t be as bad as Copenhagen in winter…
-….[a few weeks later in Wellington] You. Must. Be. Fucking. Kidding. Me.
I was kidding about the “slightly appalled” part. Kinda. The amount of health and safety warnings on TV and on the street make me wonder how the Kiwis ever made it to 4 million pax without at least half of them succumbing to manhole covers, baking while drunk, vitamin deficiency, and/or sheer* stupidity.
Also,all of you are missing Foxbat singing “Smells like teen spirit” in the living room this Friday evening, on what seems to be a karaoke machine from circa 1998.
Rock on, Tumblreros.
*Oh yeah, nailed that pun.